Chatty :) is a very nice script that lets you create a simple but very-good looking chat in a few minutes. Distributed under GPL and written entirely in PHP (which means it will run better on PHP hosting, since it has been designed to ensure smooth work of PHP applications), it is highly customizable and fully open to modifications.
Now works properly also with non-western languages. It requires MySQL as a backend RDBMS.
You can download the chat program (with source code) directly here.
Here is a short list of features of “Chatty :)” (as of version 1.0.4):
- registration is needed to enter the chat;
- multi-coloured chat: every user can have a different color;
- list of connected users;
- works with MySQL (www.mysql.org);
- works with non-western languages;
- can be easily localized
- supports emoticons
- fixed for possible cross-site scripting attacks.
Moreover, Chatty is currently used in many sites over the Internet. With its fully-customizable graphics, Chatty is one of the best GPL chat systems out there, and it probably is worth a try if you’re looking for a free and stable chat system for your activity or site.
Here you find a screenshot of “Chatty :)” in action:
This chat program is distributed under GPL version 2 (or above, at your choice) and you can do whatever you want with this source code, as long as you respect the GPL license.
Click here to download the source code (about 22 KB)
There are many things to do:
- make it more customizable (fonts, colors, …);
- make it work with other DBMS than MySQL;
- make it possible to have more chatrooms;
- create an online interface for the administrator(s) of the chat;
- create an online interface for the moderator(s) of the chat;
- create one-to-one (private) chatrooms;
- create a system to exchange messages with users not currently connected.
Currently there is no known bug. If you find any, please contact me.
If you want further information about my projects, please visit my software section.